Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Flap of skin over the lower wisdom tooth, upper tooth partially our, pain in upper right toot. What can I do ?

Hi, I am 21 years olds and for the last 2 years my wisdom teeth have slowly been coming in. The bottom 2 are almost fully out but have a flap of skin over them it is not painful and i know the importance of keeping my mouth clean to prevent food from getting stuck under the skin so the their is no pain or discomfort associated with the bottom 2. The 2 on top are also partially out but not completely but overall in this process my overbite has gotten more visible and today when my upper right wisdom pain started i was feeling around in my mouth with my tounge and i felt a hard bone like bump towards the right side of the roof of my mouth not too close to the wisdom tooth but its not painful and im not sure if it new or i just never realized it before is it just a bone over growth or is it something to do with my wisdom teeth Thank you for your time and help AAAA
Asked On : Mon, 11 Feb 2013
Answers:  5 Views:  391
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

This bony growth that you have recently noticed could be a less exposed end of your upper jaw, now that your wisdom tooth is coming into place you could have noticed a change in your jaw. This should not be of any worry. But an oral examination would always be best, consult your dentist for the same. Also, if you do experience any other symptoms you could visit your dentist at the earliest.

If you do feel discomfort with the muscle flap that is still covering your wisdom teeth, there is a small procedure that can help expose the wisdom teeth quicker and thus avoid pain and discomfort. This is done by making a small excision on that flap. It is a safe and small procedure. Discuss the possibilities with your dentist.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Answered: Mon, 11 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist, Periodontics Dr. Bennete Fernandes's  Response
Dear Jasdeep,
Please visit a Dentist & get either a single OPG/ or 4 IOPA Xray's done to rule out Impaction. Many a times the eruption (coming of the wisdom teeth slowly into the mouth) heralds pain due to inadequate space present for it which may be causing pressure on the tooth in front of it, the food lodgement in the flap as in the lower wisdom teeth. Is there crowding (overlapping) of your lower front teeth? which may have not been there earlier? or if present a little has it worsened more? Also, the 3rd molars or Wisdom teeth are just like your appendix & can be removed(extracted) if they are giving trouble when you are younger than when a person gets older.
However, if space is present, then just a simple removal of the flaps by a Dentist (preferably a Periodontist) should ease the problem. The swelling must be the the presence of the tooth underneath.
Answered: Mon, 11 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

Thanks for writing in.

The bone like bump may be the result of impacted wisdom tooth.

Such infection is pericoronitis.

Visit an oral surgeon,regarding diagnosis and treatment plan.

According to the x-ray,we can decide whether the tooth has to be extracted or not.

If there is adequate space for tooth eruption,the flap overlying tooth has to be incised and removed.

Take complete course of antibiotics-analgesics prescribed by your dentist.

I wish you good health.


Answered: Mon, 11 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hi and welcome,
Wisdom teeth are the last teeth to erupt in the oral cavity and often its eruption is associated with pain , discomfort , changes in the jaw structure and adjacent teeth.
The bony overgrowth is the alveolar bone that must have expand to help eruption of upper tooth so dont worry about it.
i would suggest you to visit a dentist and get an OPG radiograph done which will show the picture of entire teeth table , both the jaws , erupting wisdom teeth and their position in the mouth in relation to jaws and other vital structures.
Accordingly if the wisdom tooth is impacted in the bone , do no erupt properly in place so better go for surgical removal of teeth.
gums overlying your wisdom teeth often get inflammed due to poor oral hygiene as the area is difficult to clean and incorporates food debris leading to infection known as pericoronitis. this inflammed flap can be removed surgically to expose the tooth known as operculectomy. so get the evaluation done by a dentist.
use antiseptic mouth wash chlorhexidine for mouth rinsing and maintain good oral hygiene.
take care.
Answered: Mon, 11 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
dear friend.
thanks for sharing your concern.

flap of gingiva covering the wisdom tooth is called pericoronal flap.this flap sometimes gets infected.

due to improper oral hygiene,accumulation of food particles,debris etc.

this causes bacterial infection there.this is called pericoronitis.

for this you can get your pericoronal flap excised surgically.

a minor surgical procedure can help.

if required antibiotic and analgesic coverage can be given for three days.

meanwhile do warm saline rinses.

use chlorhexidine mouthwash2%.this would reduce the infection to great extent.

you are suggested to visit your dentist. get an xray done,further it can be treated accordingly.

hope this helps.
Answered: Tue, 26 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor