• question-icon

Fistula in rectum. Repaired with fibrin glue. Painful stools, foul odour normal symptoms?

Hello, 2 months ago I gave birth to my son. I had to get a small episiotomy and as the midwife made the small incision she cut into my rectum which caused me to develop a fistula . After an agonizing week dealing with stool and gas coming from the vaginal area, I had a seton placed in the perianal area . About 4 days ago I underwent surgery and they removed the seton and repaired the perianal fistula and used fibrin glue. After the surgery I noticed drainage which is normal but I also had a bit of discharge along with it. Currently the discharge now has a foul odor that smells of fecal matter but it s clear, sometimes tinged with blood. I m also experiencing extreme pain when I have a bowel movement . I m wondering of this is normal after the repair of a fistula?
Wed, 17 Apr 2019

As per my surgical experience, the painful stools with foul odor does not seem to be normal at all. It may show up in case of infection at the operated site or fistula giving way at the site.

In my clinic, I recommend an MRI of the area for the best evaluation and further management accordingly.

Till that time, sitz bath, regular antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs will serve best to heal the area.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel, General Surgeon