Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Finger swollen,bruise in palm and between fingers,hurts to bend,move,curled towards palm,other fingers swollen and numb

Hi, I blocked a punch the other day and my finger popped. It is now a little swollen, normal colored besides a bruise in my palm and one in between my fingers. It hurts to bend, move or put any weight on it. It also is slightly curled towards my palm. Also my surrounding fingers are a little swollen and are numb (my wrist occasionally goes numb). It is hard for me to get a grip on things. What s wrong? Could it be fractured, jammed, broken, or dislodged?
Asked On : Sun, 8 Apr 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  985
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
1. Your finger popped?.. Anyways swelling, bruise, unable to bend or extend fingers due to swelling, difficulty in getting a grip indicates soft-tissue injury +/- bony injury. Chances for fracture +/- dislocation of small joints of hand cannot be rule out.
3. Xray of hand / wrist will usually guide us
4. Till the time rest to the hand/wrist, ice fomentation, NSAID's, crepe bandage and elevation of limb against gravity will help you to decrease swelling and thereby pain.
5. If xrays show fracture, then treatment is decided accordingly after consulting an orthopaedician.
Answered: Wed, 9 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee's  Response
Dear Sir I am sorry to hear your hand problem. I strongly advise you to see your Doctor to refer you to see an Orthopaedic surgeon with special interest in hand injury.It is extreamely essential all hand injuries should examined, assessed and treated properly to diminish permanent disabilities. The Orthopaedic surgeon will take history, then do vascular examination of the hand, sensory examination of the hand, motor(muscles) assesment of the hand, tendon examination of the hand from injuriy, assesment of bones and joints for fractures/dislocations. Your hand will be x-rayed, whch involves normal x-ray and special x-ray for scaphoid bone as scaphoid bone fracture is not detected with ordinary x-ray. You may need surgery to treat tendon injuries.Management depends on the findings. Kindest regards.
Answered: Thu, 19 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor