Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

Finger swollen and severe pain after hit by a ball. Treatment?

I was playing volleyball last night and a hard-spiked ball hit my pinky finger wrong. i felt the tip touch the back of my hand and heard a pop . My middle knuckle was immediately swollen and within seconds the finger became very warm and started pulsating. I assumed i just severely jammed it. I pulled outward on my finger (something i was taught when i was younger) and it caused a great deal of pain but it started to feel slightly better after i did that. I continued to play and iced my finger for about 20 mins after the game. By this point, my finger was throbbing and was so swollen that i could not even bend it. I got home and buddy taped it to my middle finger and carried on with my night. This morning i woke up to pain within the finger. I noticed some swelling had reduced but on the inside of that finger (especially the middle knuckle) it had severe bruising . Now i cant bend my finger not due to swelling but because of the sharp jolts of pain i get. my finger is very slightly bent outwards from the hand at that knuckle and i have some mobility in it. I can bend my finger but the moment any pressure is put on the inside knuckle, its excruciating. Do you think I should go see a doctor? or can this be treated at home?
Asked On : Thu, 14 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  1693
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Dentist 's  Response
Thanks for posting your query,

It might be soft tissue injury, ligament injury or fracture.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim,apply ice packs to the affected area,anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting weight and rest well.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful

Answered: Sat, 16 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta's  Response
There could be a fracture present and so you must consult a doctor and get it x-rayed.
Till then keep applying ice and start an anti inflammatory drug like Ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day.
Answered: Thu, 14 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor