Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Filling fell out, upper cheek pain, roof of mouth, upper teeth sensitive to pressure. Pain medication taken. Advise?

I had a filling 3 days ago in the tooth at the upper right back - dentist put in a temporary filling - after parts of filling fell out and had three days of pain. Dentist said saw a crack but wasn't across tooth so put in the temporary filling [the filling does not fill the tooth]. Since then I have had extreme pain - sometimes throbbing, sometimes dull ache [especially in upper cheek]. The pain goes up the side of my face and the bottom teeth also pain. I've taken pain medication but it only works for a while - unable to sleep, upper teeth sensitive to pressure so shooting pain when eat [chew on opposite side] or if 'catch' when speaking. The roof of my mouth on the side with the filling is also quite sensitive and painful. My teeth are not sensitive to hot or cold. Any help most appreciated.
Asked On : Wed, 27 Mar 2013
Answers:  8 Views:  171
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Tooth pain indicates infection of the tooth that had involved the pulp tissue, such type of tooth can be root canal treated to save it permanently.

As you mentioned your temporary filling was underfilled and broken there are chances of food lodgement leading to pain.

I would suggest you to visit to a Dentist get an x-ray done
Start with the root canal treatment of the tooth, unless the tooth is devitalised, disinfected and sealed to the apex you will face pain and infection.

Take tab Augmentin 625mg and tab aceclofenac for three days, maintain a good oral hygiene, use chlorhexidine mouthwash gargles twice daily.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
Hello there,

Thanks for writing your query.

Extreme pain after getting filling done in your affect means that there is infection in the same tooth which involves the pulp tissue.

Root canal treatment is the permanent treatment option for you.

So i would suggest you visit your dentist at the earliest and get the clinical examination and x-ray of the same tooth done and go for root canal treatment (if needed).

For infection and pain you can take a course of antibiotic and analgesics.

Maintain good oral hygiene.

Hope this will be helpful.

Take care.
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Answered: Wed, 8 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

There is no alternative but to see the dentist again
It could be an infection / exposed nerve endings

You have not stated your personal habits, family history or co-morbidities, even age, gender...they could have an influence on the diagnosis and outcome...Diabetes for example?

Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs like ibuprofen reduce pain & inflammation
Gabapentin and/or antidepressants are helpful - they raise the pain threshold, irrespective of the cause

See the dentist / A second opinion may help..

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Wed, 8 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Sushma Rajesh's  Response

Thanks for posting your query.

I understand that you got a filling done which is giving you pain. Did the dentist take an xray for the tooth prior to filling? Since you have excruciating pain it is better you see a dentist . It is better to take an xray before starting any procedure to check if the tooth is indicated for rootcanal treatment.Meanwhile painkillers and antibiotic will reduce the pain and inflammation.

Take Care

Dr.Sushma Rajesh
Answered: Thu, 9 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Shubhajit Chakraborty's  Response
if u want to keep the tooth ,u hav to go for root canal tratment .other wise extration is the solution.your tooth is tender on percussion as u are telling sensitive to there is every chance of periapical pathology .visit your dentist and ask root canal treatment .it will save your tooth.for relief purpose u can take sporidex af 750 mg(acc ur weight) twice daily .with some analgesic like zerodol-p,lornoxicam 8 mg
it will give u relief
Answered: Thu, 9 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Shefali Gupta's  Response

Thanks for asking query,

Pain in the tooth after filling indicate a that your having irreversible pulpal or perapical pathology in relation to tooth.

I suggest you to visit dentist and get the iopa done to know the exact condition.

It can be corrected by root canal treatment of tooth followed by capping of tooth.

Take tab augmenting 625mg twice and tab ketrolac dt 10 mg thrice a day .

maintain oral hygiene , use antiseptic mouth wash.

Hope this will help you.
Answered: Fri, 10 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
Hello there ,

Thanks for writing your query,

Dental pain in an already filled tooth indicates the presence of infection below the filling .

Tooth ache indicates bacterial decay or infection in the tooth that involves the exposed tooth nerve tissues .

such infected tooth needs to be treated by a root canal procedure so please consider getting the treatment done by consulting a dentist.

you may need an OPG radiographic examination done for your teeth to confirm the spread of infection to the surrounding areas like roof of the mouth and adjacent teeth as you have mentioned or to rule out the exact cause of the pain.

i hope this helps ,

take care.
Answered: Fri, 10 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Thanks for writing to hcm forum,

The pain is due to the pulpal /periapical infection of decayed tooth.
I would advice you to get pulpotomy/root canal treatment done for the tooth depending on severity of infection.
Take complete course of medicines.
Pain will subside once the infected pulp has removed completely.
An x-ray will help to decide and diagnose the treatment underlying.
You can go for a second opinion too.
Maintain oral hygiene well.
Take care.
Answered: Thu, 9 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor