Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Fever, immobile, have metastatic breast cancer. Can you offer anything?

I appreciate that you are here. We have a friend who has cancer, and who today has a high fever (38.8C). She is immobile, and has been for some time. It started as breast cancer , but has metastisized pretty much all over. Tho down and immobile, she had been doing well lately. I guess it s just a matter of time, but can you offer anything?
Asked On : Wed, 7 Nov 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  77
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello. I'm sorry your friend is ill. Her situation represents one of those difficult decision-making processes that occasionally face physicians and patients (and their friends and families). Her fever is probably a sign of a secondary infection -- a decubitus ulcer (bedsore), a urinary tract infection, pneumonia, etc. -- that could be fatal if left untreated. In some cases, when patients are terminal and they've reached a decision about the types of care they wish to receive, they request that antibiotics be withheld in these situations and they simply be made as comfortable as possible. In other cases, patients request that all possible measures be taken to deal with infections, nutritional issues, and any other problems that crop up along the way.
Your friend's physician should be apprised of her fever, and its source should be identified, if at all possible. This may be a straightforward problem that is easily treatable. However, if her fever is a sign of a serious infection that will require aggressive therapy and hospitalization, your friend should be asked about her desire for such treatment. If she opts to forgo treatment, every effort should be made to keep her comfortable.
I hope that helps. My best to you and your friend.
Answered: Wed, 7 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Oncologist, Radiation Dr. Milind Kumar's  Response
I agree with Dr Christensen and would like to add here that oral antibiotics would remain a viable option which will control infection and can be taken at home. I feel calling in palliative care physician or general physician is appropriate
Answered: Thu, 8 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor