Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Fell over on knees. Get swelling with a lump and pain. What can be done?

My daughter fell over on her knees nearly three weeks ago, it instantly came up as a large egg shape and lots of bruising and pain. As she could walk ok, I thought it was just bad bruising. She is still complaining of pain, there is still swelling and a lump and bruising, she also mentions funny sensations sometimes. Any suggestions?
Asked On : Tue, 19 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  144
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response

Welcome to the forum. You should have your daughter examined clinically. The symptoms are indicative that the wound had not healed. She needs to get an X-ray done to rule out any fractures.

The swelling/lump should be assessed for any fluid, blood that might be inside which is causing discomfort. Neglect will result in infection, pus-formation and complications later. If the lump has fluid inside it needs to be drained. It is a small procedure.

Analgesics, antibiotics , proper dressing and treatment will help your daughter get well soon. For temporary relief you can give her analgesics, but that is not an answer to the problem through which she is going.

Take immediate medical help. Take care.
Answered: Tue, 19 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query.
Prepatellar bursitis that is caused by an injury will usually go away on its own. The body will absorb the blood in the bursa over several weeks, and the bursa should return to normal. If swelling in the bursa is causing a slow recovery, a needle may be inserted to drain the blood and speed up the process. There is a slight risk of infection in putting a needle into the bursa.
you can again contact me directly through my profile.
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Answered: Tue, 19 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor