Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
195 Doctors are Online

Fell, cut gum, lip. Having sensitivity, horizontal lines on teeth. Suggestions?

i recently fell last friday face first cut my lip/gum a little and 3 of my front teeth got hit. my lip and gum are now fine, my 3 teeth are the slightest bit sore ( much better from day one, seems like they are recovering hopefully ) and one is slightly sensitive to cold . I put an iphone light up to them and noticed horizontal lines through my front two teeth as if they are cracked at those points however theyre not the ones that are sensitive to the cold. If i go to a dentist within 2 weeks of the injury is that too late, im very busy with school and i go to school out of state. currently my teeth just feel slightly tight and the one is slightly sensitive. there is no real pain, could anyone help me out here and tell me whats going on and wether i should be worried or not? thank you so much
Asked On : Sun, 16 Dec 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  189
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 's  Response
Hello there....If the injury over your lip and gum is not very severe then dont worry, as it would surely heal...only if the injury is deep enough you need to get it sutured otherwise it would lead to a bad scar (over your lip). Teeth that are injured have to be examined periodically...These traumatized teeth become non-vital and get discolored developing into small cyst at the bottom of the tooth later on....if the tooth is slightly mobile (which you would not be knowing) splinting needs to be carried out to prevent tooth from getting more mobile.The ideal time for splinting is within 12 hours of injury. As it gets delayed the prognosis worsens. The horizontal lines must be the cracks over the tooth surface as a result of trauma...get yourself examined from your dental surgeon for further clinical evaluation and management.
Answered: Mon, 17 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Welcome to HCM
I would like to tell you that after getting trauma your 3 anterior teeth might have got fractured or there might be some periapical changes is tooth which can be ruled out after getting an IOPAR done.
If you experience sensitivity that means teeth are still vital & may require root canal treatment.
Its better to consult your dentist & get it treated.

Take Care
Answered: Mon, 17 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response
When the outer hard tissues of a tooth are fractured or cracked, chewing can cause movement of the pieces and the pulp becomes irritated. Often this results in a momentary, sharp pain which eventually progresses to include thermal sensitivity.If you experience symptoms of a fractured or cracked tooth, see your dentist immediately. If detected early, a cracked/fractured tooth can often be more likely to be maintained.By the time you visit your dentist,Don't chew on hard objects such as ice, unpopped popcorn kernels or pens.Don't clench or grind your teeth.

Answered: Mon, 17 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor