Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Feeling nervous, whole body shakes. EEG- normal. Is this a nervous or mental problem?

When I'm nervous my whole body shakes violently, I have this problem since 6 years. In 2008 I have consulted a neurology doctor, he checked my EEG and told nothing. But I'm feeling shaking always. Especially hands. Also when I'm feeling relaxed and having a thought I'm strong , there's no shaking at all. Is this a Nervous problem or mental problem?
Asked On : Mon, 29 Apr 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  118
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychologist 's  Response
Dec 2015
When you explain your symptoms, you should be more careful.
Shakiness and trmbling are two different things.
When trembling, we have pulse and BP elevated, palpitation occures.
These are clear symptoms of anxiety disorder.
Nothing to worry, as EEG is nornal.
Please consult a psychologist for further advice.
Wishing you a good future.
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi's  Response
Dec 2014
Welcome to HCM

You are having shakiness of body since last 6 years and you has also consulted a neurologist. EEG came normal and still you are having shakiness. Most likely the shakiness is due to anxiety. In anxiety shakiness of tremors of hands occurs along with other symptoms of anxiety and it got improvement by relaxation. I would advise you to consult a Psychiatrist for opinion. Both medicinal and non medicinal treatment options are available. Medicines like Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, Sertaline, Propranolol etc are useful. Non medicinal treatment as Behavior therapy is also useful.

Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Ashish Mittal's  Response
welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Your symptoms are related to anxiety disorder. Anxiety disorders can manifest with not only psychological symptoms but with a variety of physical symptoms also like: Tingling, numbness, tremors (shakiness) etc.

In history you mentioned that, you had already evaluated by neurologist and test like EEG is fine, then you should not worry for any neurological illness. Excessive nervousness is also a symptom of anxiety.

There are better medicines available for long term control of anxiety like SSRIs and non drug treatment like CBT. It is better to get evaluated by psychiatrist and start treatment accordingly.

Wish you all the best.

Dr Ashish Kumar Mittal
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

The description of your symptoms indicates a psychological problem and not a neurological problem. It is likely that you are having an anxiety disorder or a dissociative disorder.

Since you have been assessed by a neurologist and your EEG is also normal, the possibility of a neurological problem is ruled out. I would advise you to consult a psychiatrist for further assessment and treatment. There are effective treatment options - in the form of medication and psychotherapy, which will help you overcome your problems.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor