Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Feeling depressed, irritable and anti social. How to get cured?

Hi, I m just in need of some moral support, as I am not in a situation to get it elsewhere. My mental health isn t good and I am feeling completely depressed and very irritable, I m also being anti social. I am visiting family right now. For 9 years my father has been remarried and has another child, and has raised 4 other step children. I ve had to watch my mother struggle to raise me on her own with no financial support from him, and he s had little part of my life apart from random visits, I ve suffered childhood anxiety that carried on into adulthood because of my absent father. Now at 20 I still feel obliged to travel 2 hours by plane + 2 hours by car to get here to see them and act like family and keep a connection, I don t want to have this responsibility. I am struggling to maintain my composure this time around as I have gone through illness and injury last year, and had a very hard year overall and am just starting to get back into a good frame of mind to continue my studies in 2 weeks time. I am feeling extremely trapped in this environment, witnessing my step siblings hugging my father and watching him behave fatherly towards them, fathering his 4 year old daughter, and dealing with his wife who is a demanding and silently judgemental woman is hard on its own. She has been the brick wall between myself and my father, and continues to disallow any quality time for us. I want to go home, but will need to be here for another week, taking time from my own life and giving it to people who are undeserving and will put me back in the back seat once I leave, and I ll hardly enter their thoughts. After a very hard year, I don t have enough of myself to give to these people, and I just don t feel like I can continue to act friendly and polite to them with so much pain and hurtful history in the back of my mind, It just feels very unfair, and I m feeling very hurt. I can t afford to be slipping back into a depression because I need to be mentally strong to handle a full time work load. Is it wrong of me to be keeping so distanced in how I interact while I am here? And how should I go about keeping my mental health good and not becoming more and more depressed? Thank you for your time.
Asked On : Sat, 14 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  113
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine 's  Response

No, your feelings are not wrong. You need to be happy and mentally sound. You have a bright future ahead of you for which you need to be focused and you also need to work for it. This should be your goal in life. You need not try to act good with people who don't seem to bother or worry for you and your mother. Politeness is good but not at the cost of our own happiness. Try to develop good friends and lead a happy and productive life. Evade all depressing times with your father and his family. It is time to realize that you do not really need them. No father is better than a bad father. there are many people in this world who grow up as confident and good citizens without any love or care from father. Yes, it will be better if one has a good father. But it need not be bad if one does not have such father. Believe in yourself. Take care and live your live with happiness for you and your mother. Above all, stop expecting anything like financial help or love from your father. It will only lead to depression. Detach your mind from them and start afresh.

Best wishes!
Answered: Sat, 14 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor