Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Feel the dent in tibia bone. Hurts on walking and blue bruises on feeling it. Foot and ankle started swelling. Any medical advice required?

should i go to the doctor if my tibia bone has dented a lot? i can feel where the dent has started and where it fineshes... it hurts when i try to walk on my leg and when i try to touch it. Whenever i try to feel where it is i get blue/black bruises. The depth of the dent is from the top of your index finger untill the knuckle under your nail . My mum or dad wont take me to the doctors/hospital because they are saying there is nothing wrong with it. But my leg is x2 the size of my other leg and my foot and ankle has started to swell up aswell. Please help i need to know what is going on! I have broke my wrist twice but this is way more painful
Asked On : Sat, 7 Apr 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  736
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Vascular Surgeon 's  Response
Hello Georgiahart,
I am a vascular surgeon. I deal with similar kind of problems as mentioned by tourself. I think you are having "Chronic Compartment syndrome" which is seen usually in young athletes and caused by jogging as well as excessive cycling. Our muscles of the legs are packed in a tight compartment formed by deep fascia. In some persons when muscles enlarge in size due to work overload/hypertrophy, the pressure within the fascia becomes excessive and you start feeling pain. The dents on your tibia shin are also because of this pressure changes. As you are mentioning bruises, they can be due to venous element associated with your compartments. So you may also have varicose veins which usually needs evaluation by a vascular specialist. To prevent further pain or damage you should reduce leg muscle strenuous work if you are doing it. And compartment syndrome may need fasciotomy in some selected cases if it is troubling too much.
Hope you will be satisfied with the answer.
See you dear.
Dr Srujal shah
Answered: Wed, 18 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor