Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Feel full, gassy, constantly belching, nauseous after eating, abdomen hurt. Do I need to go see a doctor ASAP?

I feel full and very gassy, constantly belching . Feel quite nauseous after eating. My upper abdomen hurt for a few days but now the pain is gone. Slight dull ache remains mainly bc i feel full. stool has very bad odor. I am late twenties female, definitely not pregnant. I searched online and it sounds like it might be gastritis . Do I need to go see a doctor ASAP?
Asked On : Wed, 20 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  313
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response

Following bacterias can be the cause food poisoning and having the foul smelling stool and nausea after eating

1)Campylobacter enteritis
2)E. coli enteritis
3)Staphylococcus aureus

Now most probable can be pin-pointed simply by the history of food you ate since the question do not has the food item listed I will be more broad in my answer
1)Campylobacter enteritis mostly seen in the meat products which are not cooked well (e.g. hamburger)
2)E. coli enteritis will be seen in Raw fish or oysters, or raw vegetables/fruits not washed properly.
3)Staphylococcus aureus is present in poultry product like eggs
4)Salmonella is seen in poultry product,
5)Shigella is seen in poor hygiene mostly water bourn
6)cholera is seen in water
based no the location / food it can change the causative agent.

The answer is "YES" you need to see the doctor, but if not able to go soon please keep your self hydrated with water/ lime water / any short of juice till you can see the doctor. Sooner the better to see doctor.

Here is what they will do
1) physical exam
2) ask history of food/ water intake
3) collect stool sample and blood test for the culture
4) mean while will provide a broad spectrum antibiotic and ask you to keep hydrating yourself.
5) once the culture comes in they will check and may change the antibiotics if needed

Hope it helps.
Answered: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General Surgeon Dr. Grzegorz Stanko's  Response

Thank you for the query.

Yours symptoms do point some stomach or gallbladder disease. If you do have upper middle abdominal pain which usually appears after 1-2 hours from the meal, peptic ulcers are possible.
If your pain is more to the right and radiates to the back, gallstones are possible.

This diseases in most cases are not urgent, however when symptoms will be ignored, it can cause some serious complications.

I suggest you to visit your doctor, have blood tests, urine analysis, abdominal ultrasound and get scheduled for upper GI endoscopy.

In a meanwhile you should avoid coffee, fatty foods, soft drinks, fruit juices, fried foods, chocolate.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor