Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Family h/o diabetes, High BP, heart attacks. Having low BP with HDL 92; LDL 137; trig 57. Follow healthy lifestyle. Concern?

Hi I m 30 years old with a family history of Diabetes, high blood pressure and heart attacks. I exercise 4 times a week and eat very healthy. My blood pressure is actually low. I m 5 8 and weight 130 lbs (not overweight). I don t smoke/drink. I cook from scratch and don t add salt and don t eat fried food. My cholesterol levels are as follow: HDL 92; LDL 137; trig 57 a total cholesterol level of 240 Do I need to be concerned? Edit: my blood pressure is 100/60
Asked On : Tue, 2 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  82
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
It is good that you are aware of importance of family history of Diabetes,Hypertension,and heart attacks.
You need to take care of all the known risk factors it is good that you do not smoke and drink,you are not overweight and taking healthy diet and do exercise regularly.
Your Lipid profile Total cholesterol is marginally high and also LDL is 137 but good thing is good cholesterol HDL is 92 which is protective and good for health.
You need not to worried but just careful and continue healthy life style and consult local Physician to monitor your health.
You can just keep a watch on your Lipid profile and repeat after 3 months and if it improves further then it is OK if report is derranged then may be Statin are given to you( less likely)just can increase exercise daily.
Take care
Good Luck
Answered: Tue, 2 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Mayank Bhargava's  Response
Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query.
With the available described symptoms, although there appears to be least possibility of heart disease yet now.
You have not mentioned your blood pressure status.
Treatment of deranged lipid disorder is decided by LDL and it is in controlled range, while Total cholesterol is in higher range.
You are following dietary and life style modifications for better living.
You should consult with internal medicine specialist/ cardiologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for stress test to rule out possibility of blockage of coronary arteries . Any significant amount of blockage may cause ST segment downward slopping.
You should also go for regular check up at frequent intervals.
You should take statins for keeping cholesterol in controlled range.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Answered: Tue, 2 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Continue the good life style change - diet / exercise / no tobacco or alcohol.
Keep your weight in limits - may even be 10% below the normal, for long term benefits..
HDL is excellent - with this level, the elevation of LDL is not a serious problem; but needs follow up... statins can still help - ideal LDL is 100 to 70... Discuss with your doctor, during your next visit.

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Wed, 3 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor