Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Fall in the bathtub while taking shower. Hit lowerspine. Iced the spot. What is the treatment?

I just had a fall in the bathtub while taking a shower. My lower spine hit the water spout with such force that it pushed in the water spout and broke the surrounding tiles. I've been icing my back for nearly an hour now. I am not in acute pain but on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the worst) I'd say the point of impact on my lower spine is about a 4. Suggestions?
Asked On : Mon, 1 Apr 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  46
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
hallo dear friend
i hv studied your case
there might be fracture coccyx
you need medication -analgesic antiinflammatory
use ring cushion for sitting
you can take siltz bath [ sitting in leukwarm water tub]
avoid sitting on hard surface
you will need X ray sacrum and spine
for further query you may contact on
Answered: Sat, 4 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM. By the description, it seems that you might have hurt your "Coccyx" (lower most part of the tail bone - sacrum). Just use analgesics, intermittent ice compressions and try to sleep in prone position or sideways lying on one shoulder. If the pain still remains after 2 weeks, then an xray of L.S.spine is necessary to exclude any fractures in the spine & an orthosurgeons consultation in needed. Hope this helps
Answered: Fri, 3 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Praveen Tayal's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
It seems that you have suffered a soft tissue injury in the area of your lower back. You need to rest and ice the area for the first two days and then use a heating pad for relief. Get some pain killers prescribed for relief.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Sat, 4 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
Thanks for writing to us.
From description , it seems you might developed muscular or ligamentous strain over back .
I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the xray/MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.
Meanwhile following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required
• Avoid forward bending.
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Answered: Sat, 4 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor