Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

Eyes sensitive to bright light, squinting, eye watering, sun glasses provide no relief. Treatment?

I ve been having some trouble seeing when I go outdoors, more noticeably while driving. Its almost as if my eyes aren t adjusting to the brightness. I have to squint considerably to see, and my eyes will water the entire time-until I get indoors again. The weird thing is, not even sunglasses help. I m not sure if maybe there is a problem with the way my eyes dilate or something else entirely... It s like I have the feeling of looking directly at a bright light, but for a large amount of time.
Asked On : Fri, 21 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  250
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Thanks for writing to HCM.
Since you haven't mentioned your age, if you are above 40yrs,
-The most common cause is a Cataract formation. With your above symptoms it should be more of a central opacity leading to photophobia( sensitivity to bright light).
- if your eyes are red, with watering and irritation and discharge or if you had any accidental injury to your eyes, then it could be an inflammation causing photophobia.
- or simply it could be a refractive error also.
In either way, the best option is to consult an eye doctor for a direct examination to find the cause. The above mentioned problems are treatable so the earlier the better .
Hope this answers your question.
Take care. Do let us know after an examination.
Answered: Fri, 21 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor