Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Eye swollen, bruised. Iced it, painful. What could be done?

Something got into my eye yesterday during my daily activities and I blinked a few times just assuming it came out because I didn t feel anything. This morning I woke up with my eye abnormally swollen and bruised, looking noticeably like I had been hit. I have iced it among other things but it hasn t gone away and I m worried because it is painful to blink, look directly up or directly down. Can you tell me what it is, or ultimately how to decrease the swelling and bruising to fix it entirely?
Asked On : Sun, 3 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  19
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Hi Claudia,

Welcome to HCM.

Your discomfort is most likely due to foreign body still lodged in your eye. Look at a mirror close by and see whether you are able to see any particle in the transparent part of the eye ( cornea). Take a shallow bowl or a hand full of water and try blinking in it.

If you still feel the pain, then consult in emergency as the dust particle can be removed only under a slit lamp microscope in an ophthalmologist's office .

Never rub your eyes as it can cause the superficial layer of the cornea to give away(epithelial defect ) causing more trouble.

So, consult at the earliest and get relieved soon. :)
Answered: Sun, 3 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor