Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Eye socket hurt, lump formed. What am I advised?

Hi Doctor - our 25 year old daughter revived a knock to the side of the eye socket whilst playing netball 3 weeks ago resulting in a lump on the bone & local bruising but no injury to the eyeball. She still has a small lump in the area & we wondered if it maybe lymph that hasn t drained. Would you please advise if she should leave it or see our local Doctor?? Thanks
Asked On : Wed, 26 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  190
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Hi Johnking,
Thanks for writing to us.
Any blunt injury in and around the eyeball (even if there is no obvious damage ), should be examined carefully as it results in a shock wave throughout the orbit and the globe causing secondary damage to the internal structures of the eye.
With your history of injury 3 weeks and a persisting swelling,I would suggest a consultation
- to make sure the swelling is just a resolving hematoma (blood clot)and not a bony fracture or deformity by imaging.
- for detailed indirect ophthalmoscope examination of the inner layers of the eye(retina and optic nerve and the choroid too).
- to make sure her vision is alright .

Depending on the findings, the management varies which will be guided by your specialist.
So, please don't ignore it. It's still not too late, get a direct consultation to be on the safer side and early intervention if necessary.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Answered: Wed, 26 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor