Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

Exposed to wounds and had bleeding in barber shop. Preventive medicine to take for HIV ?

Dear Sir, 25 th aug 12 evening i went to barber shop for shaving & the barber started shaving , while in 75 % completion of shaving the berber cutted his own hand & bleeding .he put bandage but still some bleeding is there and after he started remaining 25 % shaving ,then the barber completed shaving 100% . after i went to home i saw in mirror some cuts in my neck & bleeding is there in my neck ....just am afraid & scared about the H I V .....Plaese advise me ...can i take prevention medicene...
Asked On : Fri, 31 Aug 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  485
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Welcome to HCM,

Chances of transmission of HIV through cut wounds is 1-2%.

There are many adverse effects of these antiretroviral therapy.

If the barber is HIV positive then consult your doctor and start prophylactic medication.

If the HIV status of the barber is not known , then you can get his HIV testing done.

You can get PCR done for yourself, its very specific but costly. It has to be dome two weeks after the exposure.

Answered: Fri, 31 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Das Arindam's  Response
Sep 2012
Hi, Welcome to HCM, I am Dr. Das
Do you tried to know the HIV status of the barbar? I think no.
Now it is 2nd september, if you wanted to take prophylaxis it should be started within 72 hours. So, it is too late to start prophylaxis.
Just try to get HIV status of the barbar , if it is negative, it is ok. But if it is positive then consult a doctor.
Answered: Mon, 3 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor