Experiencing generalized tonic clonic seizure activity. Done EEG. On keppra, levetiracetam. Is the medication recommended?

I currently am experiencing Generalized Tonic Clonic Seizure activity, and my Neuroligist started me on a regiment of Keppra [ Levetiracetam 500 mg ] in order to minimize any future seizure activity. My question is - Once my EEG readings determine that I no longer have seizure activity, how much time is recommended, to continue with this medication?
Mon, 28 Oct 2013
Neurologist 's  Response

Thank you for posting your query and I agree that your question is very relevant.

There is no fixed duration of treatment with anti-epileptic drugs (AEDs) that suits all patients with epilepsy. However, it is agreed that at least two to three years of seizure freedom is necessary before we contemplate stopping the AEDs.

The duration of AED treatment would get prolonged (more than 3 years) if seizures continue to recur, or if the EEG remains abnormal or if the MRI brain shows abnormalities.

I hope I have answered your query. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in