Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Experiencing abnormal menstrual cycles. Enlarged, fibroid uterus, heterogeneous endometrial stripe. What does this all indicate?

I am 47 who has been experiencing abnormal menstrual cycles for almost a year. I ve been getting my period about every 18-20 days. First few days I bleed relatively heavy every time. My OB sent me for a ultrasound and vaginal ultrasound . I do have a follow up appointment with my OB in 2 weeks, but was wondering with the findings in the report if I should try to get an earlier appointment. The reports states as follows: Uterus measures 12 x 6 x 4 cm in size heterogeneous in echotexture. Multiple Nabothian cyst. Right body fibroid measuring 2.5 x 1.8 x 2.1 cm in size. Right anterior fundal fibroid measuring 1.1 x 1.3 cm in size. Right posterior fibroid measuring 1.8 x 1.7 cm in size. The endometrium is heterogeneous in echotexture measuring 1.1 cm in size ill-defined difficult completely characterize. Correlation clinically. Right ovary: Measures 3 x 2 x 2 cm in size. Dominant follicle measure 1.4 cm in size. Left ovary: Measures 3.3 x 2.2 x 1.6 cm in size Mild dilatation of the collecting system bilaterally. Impression: Enlarged uterus, fibroid uterus, heterogeneous endometrial stripe measuring 1.2 cm in size. No discrete fluid collection. I have had ovarian cysts before so I was not surprised by that. Can you explain if what the fibroids mean and mostly, I would like to know what they mean about the heterogenheous endometrial stripe. Thank you in advance for your help.
Asked On : Tue, 5 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  355
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
Hi dear,
The ultrasound report of your shows fibroid but the size of fibroid is small enough to cause any problem and should not be a matter of worry.
However, a heterogenous endometrium of 11cm with enlarged uterus and a history of irregularly bleeding requires a D&C for full work up
You can consult your gynae at te scheduled meeting and follow her advise
All the best
Answered: Sun, 25 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor