Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Enlarged taste bud on tip of tongue. Suggestion for removal?

I have had an enlarged taste bud about half an inch from the tip of my tongue for as long as I can remember. It does not hurt at all but it is about the size of a small earring stud. I wish to have it removed and have read that many people have simply clipped theirs off with nail clippers. How dangerous can that be? Is there anything safer or less painful I can do to make it go away?
Asked On : Sun, 21 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  76
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response

Enlarged taste buds..i.e. papillae on surface of tongue is common condition of unknown cause.

It is benign condition with hypertrophy of papillae.

No treatment is required.

Never do clipping of papillae, it is a dangerous procedure. It may cause infection.

If you want treatment, then consult dermatologist or ENT surgeon.

Simple electrocautery or surgical excision under local anaesthesia will suffice.



Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Answered: Thu, 13 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor