Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Endoscopy shows inflammation in stomach. Have nausea. Can I exclude cancer?

hello im 24 years old. I recently went for an endoscopy and they said i have inflammation in the stomach. So they took a biopsy . Now what brought me to the GI doctor was that i have been feeling nausea for two years. I was wondering why take a biopsy? and if cancer is always seen when an endo is performed? I have a follow up on january 7th can i exclude cancer?
Asked On : Tue, 8 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  72
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hi there,

Thanks for your query.

* Firstly, Stomach cancer at this age is rare. Taking an Endoscopic biopsy does not mean it is cancer.

* Secondly, Prolonged nausea is most commonly due

- to chronic acidity (particularly as a result of a infection/inflammation by a bacteria called H.pylori.). H.pylori infection is usually diagnosed through biopsy of inner lining of the stomach/duodenum. A 10-14days' course of anti-H.pylori therapy eradicates the infection.

- Chronic indigestion due to harmful bacteria overwhelming the good bacteria in the intestine. A course of Probiotics, such as, lactobacilli, along with digestive enzymes overcome this problem.

- Chronic Protozoal infection (amoebae, giardia) which can be easily treated with a course of metronidazole group of drugs.

- Worms in the intestine :- a deworming course eliminates worms.

- A sluggish intestine, whereby which the movement of food through the stomach and across the intestine is slower than normal. Prokinetic agents relieve the condition.

If I were your treating doctor, I would have - pending your appointment with GI doctor- prescribed Probiotics, Pro-kinetics, deworming course and, of course, anti-H.pylori therapy along with anti-acids + anti-nausea drug, such as, ondansetron.

You may discuss my views/opinion/recommendations with your GI doctor, who would know what is best for you.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Answered: Fri, 8 Nov 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor