Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Elevated white blood cells after having tonsillitis. Heart murmur. Fluttering feeling and increased heart rate. Need check up?

I was just recently in the hospital and they diagnosed me with tonsillitis that got into my blood causing my white blood cell count to raise to 22. They also found a heart murmur at this time. Lately I have been feeling like a flutter feeling or racing heart beats. I feel anxious almost but it s very uncomfortable should I be looking to see a doctor?
Asked On : Thu, 27 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  171
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hi, welcome for your query

The function of tonsils that are situated on either side of your throat walls above and posterior to the tongue is to trap and kill the infective agents and thereby protecting the lower air and food passages.

But sometimes they cannot clear the infective agents and themselves become the seat of infection called "tonsillitis".

The thriving infection - usually bacteria or its products can enter the bloodstream and causes further complications.

In response to infection, our body produces some products that increases the number of fighting white blood cells. Normal count is 4000 to 11000, and in your case it is increased to 22000 suggesting there is some infection in your body.

With treatment of infection with antibiotics the count will become normal.

The Heart murmur found and the symptoms mentioned by you, can be of some concern. The tonsillitis can give rise to heart complications like Rheumatic Fever/ Rheumatic Heart Disease and Subacute Bacterial Endocarditis which needs a proper evaluation by a cardiologist.

It can also be because of Increased Heart rate ( Tachycadia) that will be associated with acute infection, like your increased WBC count , that will settle down once you ward of your infection with proper antibiotics.

You should definitely visit your doctor for proper treatment.
Answered: Fri, 28 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor