Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Elevated lipid profile. Had hip surgeries. Swelling in the legs and pain. On water pills. Second opinion?

Hi doctor, I have my husband s test results his doctor never got back to him so he went to the hospital to get the results. He is 62 and his GFR is 104, his cholesterol is 222, his triglyceride is 422, HDL 36, VLDL 84, LDL could not calculate, CHOL/HDL is 6.17. He has had 3 hip surgeries in less than a year. The first one was in Sept. last year, it got infected had to have emergency surgery that Oct. 2011, was on a PIC tube for antibiotics for 6 weeks, his past surgery was in Jan. 2012. His legs and feet are blown up like a balloon (both). He had a dopplar test 2 weeks ago on his legs and the results were no blockage. His doctor thought at the time it was just water gain. He is on water pills now also potassium pills (from DR.) He is still in a lot of pain and taking vicodine. His legs, feet, and thighs are still blown up. He had that less evasive surgery on his hips and bruised greatly. I think he is in great danger to have a heart attack and my opinion he has diabetes . I am so frustrated at his doctor and I don t see my husband wanting to change doctors or get another opinion. Please give me your advise. Thank you so very much for your time.
Asked On : Mon, 16 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  18
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear patient,

Indeed I agree that it would be very important for your husband to be tested for diabetes, since with those lipid results alone we are able to diagnose a condition called metabolic syndrome, a condition that increases the risk of having high blood pressure and diabetes; at this moment the reason why the LDL cholesterol cannot be accurately measured is because of the tryglycerides that are very high; he needs additional testing for his blood pressure, for diabetes and significant changes in his diet and hopefully exercise to improve these numbers, and if unable, he would need the help of medications.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Answered: Fri, 19 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor