Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Electrical pain, hot and cold sensations, pins and needle sensations in the foot. See a foot specialist or neurologist?

Hi, I think I have a problem related to peripheral nerves in my foot . Symptoms include electrical pain, hot and cold sensations, pins and needles sensation... Not too sure if it is more likely to be Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome , Peripheral Neuropathy or something else. My question is: what specialist should I go to? A foot specialist or a neurologist? I went to the GP who didn t refer me to anyone, just prescribed me painkillers and anti-inflammatory when I described the pain.
Asked On : Sat, 27 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  63
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi friend
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You should see a NEUROLOGIST. He/she is the person to test the nerves and muscles. They also have several ways to investigate - eg. nerve conduction studies, EMG (ElectroMyoGraphy) and so on. They alone can pin point the nerve involved, extent of damage and possible cause. If at all, the cause happens to be Tarsal tunnel, they will give appropriate referral.

You are really clever to have thought of these two possibilities.

The details are not enough to suggest possible diagnosis. Peripheral neuropathy is usually symmetrical (both sides) / can extend beyond ankle. Tarsal tunnel is generally on one side / it is limited to foot. There are several small facts which will lead to a conclusion by the nerve specialist.

Take care
Wishing you speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Sat, 27 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor