Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Elbowed in throat, causing discomfort, low voice

elbowed in throat while playing basketball. Immediately it hurt, felt uncomfortable. Still could breath, but just day maybe coincidental i had a sore throat (felt like a normal bacterial sore throat). now my voice is low and although the sore throat part is going away i feel like my throat is strange probabaly see a doc this afternoon, however, i live in China (i m american) and sometimes the visits are meritless.
Asked On : Sun, 28 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  194
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response

Thank you for your query.

1. Since this happened almost a couple of days ago, the worst is probably over.

2. The direction of the force, speed of the elbow strike and your own and the opponent's body weight and position would have been the factors responsible for your symptoms.

3. The thyroid cartilage of the voice box usually deflects the force of a thin object above or below. With a large surface area of contact, such as with a bent elbow, it is difficult to predict the outcome.

4. To complete the list of possible causes and not necessarily in your case, there may be a slight damage to the delicate inner ling (mucosa) of the larynx. The cervical spine may be injured leading to muscle spasm. The esophagus (food pipe may be crushed between the larynx and cervical spine.

5. The low voice and sore throat is due to the injury. Get a Videolaryngoscopy (or at least an IDL or InDirect Laryngoscopy) and USG Neck (Ultrasound) done. If it is normal, there is no cause for worry.

6. If your symptoms worsen, or if you have pain while swallowing or breathlessness, a CT Sacn of the larynx is advised.

7. Permanent damage is unlikely. Stop any contact sports for some time till you recover completely.

8. I must emphasize that the chance of a serious permanent problem at your age is rare. Even is some damage shows up in the USG or Scans, the treatment will be conservative medication and observation. Ask for a prescription of anti-inflammatory pain killers and steroids if the inflammation is severe (and you do not have a history of diabetes).

Answered: Mon, 29 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor