Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Eardrum ruptured following a ear infection. Feeling deaf. Get treated immediately?

on the weekend my eardrum ruptured following a ear infection which i had ignored. i had to go to the out of hours dr who gave me antibiotics and told me to go to gp tuesday (yestetday). gp said that the eardrum us bulging and there is inflammation in the other ear also. i am feeling deaf and pretty rubbish! .ididnt go to wirk monday or tuesday but still not up to going back (dint think i ciuld handle) the noise of schoolchildren -im a high school teacher) but i still feel guilty. dr signed me off until friday which means i will have had 4 days off. do you think this is acceptable, or should i go back sonner? do people take time iff work with a ruptured ear drum or is it just me! !!!
Asked On : Sat, 23 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  62
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
Hello and welcome to HCM,

A ruptured ear drum in most of the cases gets healed in due course if taken care properly in the initial phase. If you are complacent in this time then you may end up with a permanent hole for which the treatment is only surgery. So take rest and stop feeling guilty!!

You may however return to work whenever you are comfortable but take the following precautions:
-Keep the ear dry and clean, if the inflammation has stopped you do not need to apply ear drops
-No water should enter the ear especially during head bath for the next three weeks or so
-get an audiometry testing done so that the loss can be quantified and monitored
-the healing takes anywhere between three weeks to three months so be patient

take care

Dr Sriram Nathan
Answered: Wed, 14 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

 2 users find this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor