Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Ear trouble, blocked tubes, makes squelching sound, in pain. Treatment?

My 5 year old daughter has been complaining of ear trouble for a number of weeks now, the doctor we saw said that was down to virus and was the tubes blocked but didn't prescribe anything other than calpol. This mornings the ear is making a squelching sound (she said only a little bit of pain) almost as if needs to 'pop'. Do we need any treatment for this or will it clear up on its own?
Asked On : Tue, 9 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  342
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Pediatrician 's  Response
hello.Thank you for opting healthcare magic..i have reviewed your symtoms,as per me your daughter is having congestion in middle can give her steam inhalation and some decongestant can ask her to chew a chewing gum as it will open tubes and help in should consult some ENT specialist if she is having fever.or ear discharge,severe pain..i hope for speedy recovery of your child..
Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Wajid Ahmad's  Response
Usually these symptoms are associated with throat infection as the eustachian tubes get block. If there is no signs of inflammation in ear so it will relieve as the throat congestion improve. Calpol helps a bit, i think there is no need of ear drops. In my opinion i will suggest Brufen rather than Calpol
Answered: Thu, 11 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Himanshi Kashyap's  Response

Thanks for the query.

The blocked ear tubes if due to a virus or allergies usually corrects by itself with time.However if there is infection it might require antibiotics.

If this ear trouble is going on for weeks then it would be advisable to get her examined by Ear specialist who might if there is fluid collection do procedure to get the fluid out or sometimes put a small tube which will relieve her block.

Take care.
Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor