Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Ear piercing, right ear bleed, skin sticks to the clasp of earring, allergy to gold ?

My daughter is 7 months old and has had her ears pierced for at least 3 months. The back of her right ear bleeds occasionally. I m wondering if she could be allergic to gold but have heard the use gold for the initial piercing to reduce the chance of allergic reaction. I thought her ears were healed but it seems the skin sticks to the clasp when this bleeding happens. Her left ear seems fine.
Asked On : Tue, 1 May 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  469
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
  User's Response
Yes. It is due to allergy. Even though gold is less likely to cause it, in some it can still cause allergic reaction. A mild steroid cream can be applied to that area. If there is any secondary infection that cream with antibiotic will be required.
An oral antihistaminic may be required if it does not subside with creams alone.
Once it heals well leave it alone for a couple of months. Then get pierced by non allergenic ear stud ( your doctor can arrange for it or see an ENT specialist ). Then leave it for a couple of months till that heals well. Then try again gold ornament. Then if allergic reaction recurs then your daughter may have to wear permanently non allergenic ornaments. Mostly it may not recur as nothing has happened with gold in her other ear
Take care.
Answered: Tue, 1 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor