Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Ear piercing done, swollen lymph nodes, itchiness, liquid discharge on wearing earrings. Causes?

I ve had my ears pierced a couple times in the past 6-7 years, but whenever I decide to start wearing earrings again for too long I get lumps on my throat right under my ears. Also, the holes are itchy and clear non-smelly liquid comes out. The bumps are beginning to be a little painful and I m starting to get a sore throat . I may be allergic to cheap metals. What exactly is it and what can I do?
Asked On : Mon, 4 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  631
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is quite possible that you are allergic to the material the ear rings are made of. The only way to confirm this would be an allergy test, this can be a blood test or skin prick testing.

Alternatively ,if these tests are not an option, then change the type of earrings that you use. This can be done after this acute reaction has resolved.
The bumps are likely enlarged lymph nodes that are responding to this acute event.
This present reaction can be treated with (1) removal of the earrings (2) application of mild steroid and antibiotic cream (3) you can use an oral anti inflammatory pain killer to help with the sore throat.

I hope this helps
Answered: Mon, 4 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor