Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Ear pain, have discharge, ear drum ruptured, painful, persistent. Go for surgery?

Hi, I have deep ear pain with some discharge . My ear drum ruptured 5 years back and was corrected by surgical procedure. From last year I have mild pain in my ear with discharge. The symptoms come and go and the pain is not heavy or persistent. Back of the ear seems a bit swollen and hard but no pain. I am not sure if the swelling is there after the surgery. Please advise. Thanks
Asked On : Fri, 8 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  25
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.
I have gone through clinical history regarding ear discharge and mild to moderate pain in ear. As you said that that you have been operated for perforation in ear drum about 5 years back. From last 1 year you are having off and on ear discharge and pain. By your clinical history few possibilities for pain and discharge comes in mind-
(1) Recurrence of past pathology.- Commonly found in cases of cholesteatoma of ear were recurrence is quite common.
(2) As a complication of recurrent upper respiratory tract infection.
(3) perforation of grafted ear drum.
Before reconstructive surgery you are advice for these investigations.-
(1) C.T.scan of paranasal sinuses- to rule out recurrent upper respiratory tract infection.
(2) C.T.scan of ear (H.R.C.T.).
(3) Culture and sensitivity of ear discharge.
(4) Blood - CBC, blood sugar F & P.P.
(5) Urine Routine & Microscopic.
(6) Audiometery.
By thorough clinical examination and their co-relation with above investigations one can reach to correct diagnosis which is than accordingly plan for treatment.

With Regards.
Answered: Sat, 9 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor