• question-icon

Ear infection wih water and pus drainage, took antibiotics, drops, no help. Diagnosed Cholesteatoma, surgery. Opinions ?

Hi,FOR PAST ONE MONTH I HAD EAR INFECTION .I HAD WATER DRAINAGE AND ALSO PUS FROM MY EAR AND WET PILLOWS IN THE MORNING. I WAS GIVEN ANTIBIOTICS AND DROPS BUT IT SEEMS LIKE NO MAJOR CHANGE.LAST WEEK WE HAD A MICROSCOPIC EXAMINATION OF THE EAR AND THE DOCTOR DIAGNOSIED CHOLESTEATOMA AND SAID NEEDED SURGERY.PLEASE IF YOU CN ADVISE ME ON THE PROCEDURED AND ALSO THE COST OF THE OPERATION. I NEED A SECOND OPINION BEFORE OPERATION. PLEASE IF YOU CAN ADVISE ME ACCORDINGLY.THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE. GOD BLESS YOU.
Sat, 24 Aug 2013
ENT Specialist 's  Response
hello and welcome to HCM,

It seems that you have a chronic ear problem which has gone to become CHOLESTEATOMA and now you definitely need the surgery. These are a few things about this surgery if everything goes in a typical way:
1. The surgery is done within the ear and only a small scar may be seen that too very much behind the ear. Even this scar will disappear in a few months
2. Depending on th extent of the lesion the surgery may take around one to two hours for complete clearance of the disease and also to repair your ear bones
3. The surgery uses a plethora of instruments from microscopes to drilling machines
4. The average stay is around five days and rest with minimal activity is around one month
5. You will be advised to avoid head bath for three weeks
6, The cost varies from hospital to hospital while in government hospitals it is free. In private hospitals it may range from 15k to 70k and is covered by insurance

do not waste much time and get yourself operated soon as CHOLESTEATOMA is a potentially dangerous lesion

get well soon and have a safe recovery!!

Dr Sriram Nathan