Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Ear infection causing drum rupture, dispel infected fluids. How much time should I take off work?

Had an ear infection which caused the drum to rupture and dispel the infected fluids. Doctor has prescribed 500mg of amoxcillan 3 times a day for a week. the pain is greatly eased with ibuprofen , though still intense without (on day 3) and still showing fresh blood . My question is how much time should I take off work ( cold and slightly noisy environment) and does the ear itself take care off the leftover fluids in the ear? Regards, Nick
Asked On : Sun, 24 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  27
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding your ear infection and perforation of ear drum followed by blood mixed ear discharge. You are interested in to know about follow up and expected recovery period.

Here I would like to say that you are suffering from acute otitis media with discharge. In such cases usually conservative treatment is successful. You should take-

(a) Antibiotic.

(b) Anti inflammatory.

(c) Mucolytic and decongestant.

(d) Keep ear clean and dry & don't use any EAR DROP.

You are advice to care for about 8 to 10 days which is the usual recovery period for complete restoration. But if you are diabetic than this time may increase.

Answered: Mon, 25 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor