Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Ear drum ruptured while shooting solution in ear. Will this cause permanent hearing loss?

Hello, When I recently went to the Doctor, they decided to clean my ears. Using a solution of half-water and half- Hydrogen Peroxide they shot it into my ear with a syringe looking tool (not sure what it is called). Midway through the procedure ,the doctor shooting the solution into my ear actually ruptured my ear drum and forced solution past it. It was extremely painful, but my main question is, will it cause permanent hearing loss? I have suffered ear infections in the past and had an ear tube removed from that ear 1 year ago.
Asked On : Fri, 18 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  80
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

There are twe possibilities,

1. If the drum got ruptured during syringing, then you need to be very careful in that no water should enter the ear. You need also to take an audiometry examination and confirm the loss of hearing. Take a course of antibiotics and antihistamine and do not put any drops. If you manage to keep your ears dry and non infected then you have more than 90% chance of the ear to heal in a time period which range from two weeks to two months after which your hearing will improve.

2. If there already was a hole due to the tube inserted one year back then also you need to take an audiometry examination and confirm the loss of hearing. Take a course of antibiotics and antihistamine and do not put any drops. However in this case the hole may not heal and you may have to do a surgery for permanent cure of hearing loss

In either case do not allow water to enter ear, avoid frequent head bath and wait for a period of at least three months before deciding on the permanent treatment

take care and get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan
Answered: Tue, 27 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor