Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Ear drainage, bad smell. Started after removing ear tubes put 9 years ago. Suggestions?

My ear drains all time and has a bad smell to it. The drainage runs out of my ear and runs down on my lobes. I am a 78 year old woman. About 9 years ago the doctor put ear tubes in they didn't come out so he took them out.. It was very painful when he removed them. I have had trouble with them ever since. I try to keep water out . I would love to go swimming but don't want to to get water in my ears. HELP
I don't have the ,money
Asked On : Thu, 10 Oct 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  52
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Your ear drums seem to have perforations and that is leading to infection in your middle ears. The tube which are put in ears are usually self extruding and the perforation heals on its own. If they need to be removed, the ear drum can have a persisting perforation. The foul smell can be because of super added infection but can also be because of infection involving the bone of ear or certain specific pathologies (unsafe CSOM) which needs to be ruled out by an ENT examination. If it is simple perforation, you need to take antibiotics for some time to dry the discharge and after that you can undergo surgery (myringoplasty) for repair of ear drums. After that surgery you can do swimming as in a normal ear. Regards
Answered: Thu, 10 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor