Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Ear blockage, loss of hearing, pressure. Have a permanent grommet fitted in. Treatment advise?

hi, i have a query about a blocked right ear i had a permanent grommett fitted approx 4 years ago and recently my ear has become blocked again and i have loss of hearing on my right side plus pressure. My ear won t pop or equalise and it s making it difficult to cope with in social situations. I have an appointment with the ENT specialist but not till next Friday and i can t bear it anymore. Is there any inflammatory pills i could take as assume it s just flared up again. There is no discharge from the ear, and i haven t been diving or done anything particular to aggravate it recently.
Asked On : Fri, 25 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  31
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

I have understood your concern regarding the hearing loss which is bothering you.

Since you have got grommets its always a risk for infection which would have been happened in this case. What you can do is to start a course of antibiotic like amoxycillin-clavulanate combination 625 mg twice daily after food for five days along with levocetrizine 5mg once daily after food for two weeks. Your doctor will know about these. Once the infection clears your hearing may improve.
Needless to say that if the hearing does not improve with these medications you must consult an ENT who will first perform an examination of the drum and advice an audiometry testing based on which he may treat you further.

Meanwhile do not take head bath and do not put ear drops

take care

Dr Sriram Nathan
ps: You can get infection even if you are very strict so do not worry
Answered: Mon, 2 Sep 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor