Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

EKG showing a mild leakage in the mitral valve, have murmur. How to prevent this from getting worse?

yesterday I asked the doctor that my doctor heard a slight murmur which I never was told from my previous doctor of 12 years unfortunately he retired that I had a murmur. I was shocked to hear and was worried. I had a echocardiogram and showed I have a mild leak in my mitral valve . The doctor that answer made me feel so much better and positive. I forgot to ask him how can I prevent it from getting worse.
Asked On : Sat, 9 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  38
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi and thanks for the query,
The results of the echocardiogramme showing a mild leakage, with normal clinical and electrocardiographic findings is actually very reassuring. Even asymptomatic or normal individuals could have mild leakages. It becomes a problem only when the leakage becomes relatively too much and when clinical signs and symptoms set in.
The main thing you got to now is follow directives of your treating physician and do regular annual control cardiac ultrasound. Any unusual feeling like tiredness/cough/chest pain/breathlessness or whatever should cause you to indicate this to your family doctor.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Answered: Sat, 9 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor