Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

EKG normal, high BP, chest pain, heart burn. Family history of heart disease. Medication to control?

I seen me heart doc EKG normal have high blood pressure told him the chest pain and left arm pain and tingling And feeling like I have heartburn so input it off I wouldn t seen him today but they called me for yearly check up I have family history of heart disease and strokes and I m 51 years old I weigh 100lbs I m on blood pressure medicence He put me on a different one only way I knew the pharmacy where i get my meds called me he didn t tell me he changed it and if needed to call him I could I had the procedure 2 years ago where they go up your groin he looked at it said it looked fine not sure if now if the chest pain comes and goes away and I do have nitrate but scared to take them. And feel stupid even going to see him today because next time I will put it off to other things .
Asked On : Sat, 16 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  24
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Hello rjcorbet,

As a 51-year old, with high blood pressure and family history of heart disease, your worry about the chest pain is understandable. Is your chest pain located in the center of the chest, over lower end of the breast bone (sternum)? Heart-related pain may spread or radiate to arms or back. Heart disease pain is brought on by physical or emotional exertion and relieved by rest.

If your doctor finds your EKG to be fine and BP controlled, then please do not worry. Next time, you could confide your heart-related fears to your cardiologist. An echocardiography and/or exercise EKG (Treadmill test) will help him to rule out deficient blood supply to the heart.

The procedure of ‘going up the groin’ described in your letter must be coronary angiography. It is a safe procedure. Nowadays the doctors can do it up your wrist also. There is yet another screening test for heart disease, the CT coronary angiography.

Hope you get over your heart worries with the help of your doctor at the earliest.
Thanks for using
Answered: Sun, 24 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor