Drugs used in gout, infections, epilepsy, blood pressure, pain relief, etc may raise blood urea.

More-than-normal values could be due to: * Kidney diseases like glomerulonephritis, pyelonephritis, and acute tubular necrosis * Renal (kidney) failure * Too much protein breakdown like in starvation * Very high protein intake * Congestive heart failure * Heart Attack * Bleeding in the gut * Decrease in the blood volume like in burns, dehydration or shock * Obstruction in the urinary tract due to a tumour, stones, or prostatic hypertrophy * Drugs used in gout, infections, epilepsy, blood pressure, pain relief, etc may raise blood urea. These include allopurinol, aminoglycosides, cephalosporins, chloral hydrate, furosemide, indomethacin, methotrexate, methyldopa, drugs toxic for the kidneys (like high doses of aspirin, amphotericin B, carbamazepine, colistin, penicillamine, polymyxin B, probenecid, vancomycin), propranolol, rifampin, spironolactone, tetracyclines, thiazide diuretics, and triamterene
Tue, 28 Jul 2009