Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

Done surgery for strangulated bowel. Nausea, gagging, abdominal pain. What can I take?

I have had surgery for a strangulated bowel approx. 2 years ago. Last night I was awakened by the sudden urge to vomit . I thought maybe it was the flu . BUT I realized I was experiencing the same symptoms as the twisting of my bowels. The difference , I did not vomit, although I have gagged several times, I Have had a bowel movement , but I still continue to feel a pain not nearly as excruciating as in the past, but still pain in the abdominal area. What can I take.
Asked On : Wed, 28 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  43
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General Surgeon 's  Response

Thank you for the query.

If it is another bowel obstruction there is nothing you can do by your own. As you have had abdominal surgery there is a [possibility of abdominal adhesions. It can cause another obstruction. It does not have to be total obstruction, it can be partial and the symptoms can be different than with the first obstruction.
It is advisable for you to have it ruled out as soon as possible. Abdominal X-ray should be performed. If urgent condition is ruled out, you should get scheduled for abdominal CT with oral contrast (enteroclysis) to see if there are some intestines narrow areas.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Thu, 29 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor