Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Done semen analysis. What does it mean?

I need help understanding my test results. What does this all mean? Percentage non motilesperm 73 percent. Percent non progressive sperm 3 percent. Percent slow progressive sperm 3 percent. Percentage rapid progressive sperm low. 21 percent. Total count of normal and motile sperm low. 24 percent (50-100) sperm density low. Value found 9 10*6/mL (20-999) semen sample volume, value found 7.3 mL (2-999) semen examination. Value found 24. I haven t a clue what any of it means, is it a normal test result
Asked On : Mon, 8 Oct 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  266
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and thank you for posting your query on HCM
You have posted your report in a jumbled up mannar, however, I will try to extract most out of it.
I understand from your report that there are motilitily issues in your semen analysis.

for sperme to successfully fertilize an ovum, atleast 50% sperms should be motile. This motility should be rapid progressive forward movement.
If a sperm moves but remains static or shows only slow progressive movement , it is not considered to a satisfactory movement.

In your sample:
% of non motile sperms-73%
% of non progressive sperms-3%
% of slow preogressive sperms-3%
% of rapidly motile sperme-21% (Normal is >50%)

Sperm counts are low

Due to low sperm count and low sperm motility you are likely to suffer from infertility.

Take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Answered: Tue, 9 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Das Arindam's  Response
Sep 2012
Hi, welcome to HCM, I am Dr. Das
First of all, sperm count is lower than normal ( normal - >20 million /ml. As per WHO 1999).
NOrmally motile sperm is lower than normal limit ( normal >50% as per WHO1999).
So, overall, there is low sperm count alongwith decreased sperm motility.
You have to consult with your treating doctor, because it leads to infertility.
Answered: Wed, 10 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor