Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Done liver test. Do I need further investigation?

I m 28 years old male ..3 years ago i had routine labs ...i found my liver profile as follows ALT 70 AST 35 GGT 99 Alkaline phosphatase 67 albumin 4.5 i made follow up labs a year after and then a year after again and there were nearly the same results i made abdominal ultra-sound 3 times and it was 100 % normal and no abnormality in the liver or gall bladder i made labs this week the results are ALT 47 AST 22 GGT 98 ALP 67 albumin 4.5 do i need to make any further investigatiosn ? or these no. can be normal varient ? thx 4 help
Asked On : Sun, 30 Sep 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  95
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
I would recommend you to get tested at least for viral hepatitis (hepatitis B and hepatitis C), since these can cause abnormal liver enzymes and won't give any symptoms or show anything on ultrasound until many years have passed by.
You might as well get tested for autoimmune hepatitis, hemochromatosis, wilsons disease, etc (these are all blood tests), and definitely get follow up of your liver tests.
Also, you should moderate your alcohol consumption if you drink, and lose weight if you are overweight.
Answered: Sun, 30 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Enrique Molina's  Response
Doctors that say that liver enzymes at those levels are acceptable are outdated. The new "normal" levels for ALT and AST are actually below 30, which means your ALT level is double the normal value. You can talk to any liver specialist or "hepatologist" about it. You can't assume it's alcohol to cause of your increased liver enzymes, and actually alcohol usually increases the AST first, not the ALT.
GGT is not specific to the liver, although liver inflammation or injury is the most common cause.
Make sure you get follow up.
Answered: Mon, 1 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Akhilesh Dubey's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
Your Liver function reports (Latest)are with in acceptble range that is ALT is ( 7to 56 IU/L) AST is (5 to 47 IU/L) , ALP is (30 to 120), although GGT is mildly elevated that is 98 which should be (0 to42 IU/L) .

The cause of elevated GGT is alcohol I presume you may be taking alcohol ,this would be desirable to stop alcohol completely as it is harmful not only liver there are many other damaging effects.
Just take care of your health,
Live healthy life style without alcohol and enjoy.Even few person quit alcohol it is great success of this forum.
Best of luck to you
Answered: Sun, 30 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Prasad Akole's  Response
Dear friend, welcome to HCM!

You do not need any evaluation.
All reports are acceptable.
SGOT, SGPT are extremely mildly elevated and not worrisome.
Avoid alcohol.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress.
Good Luck!
I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily.
Thank you!
Answered: Sun, 30 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor