Does the Atenolol cause side effects of persistent cough and breathlessness and do the stopping of the medication cause problems other than uncontrolled BP?

i have hi blood pressure my Dr. raised my atenolol to 100 mg. ive had problems catching my breath from just walking to another room in the house & a persistent cough & what i would think conjestiv heart failure would feel like i stopped taking it & seem to be getting better is stopping recommended or can stopping like that cause problems other than uncontroled B.P ?
Sat, 18 Jan 2014