Does swollen adam's apple indicate hypothyroidism?

Hi, for 5 or 6 weeks now I have had what feels like a swollen adam's apple, I went to the doctor and was given an anti inflammatory and pain killers. I had a gum which kept swelling up and going down so I visited the dentist and yesterday I had a tooth extracted which had an infected root. My throat was feeling better but today the feeling of a swollen adam's apple seems much worse and I am worried this may be an under active thyroid.
Is it normal with a tooth infection to get this sensation and would anti biotics help?
Thanks
Sat, 26 May 2018
Endocrinologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

A swelling in the Adam's apple zone that doesn 't regress with antiinflamatory drugs may be a local infection but it is necessaty to do some test to confirm the infection.

If the cause is an inflammation of the thyroid gland or subacute/acute thyroiditis than you should have tenderness or pain in the thyroid apart the other local signs of inflammatin (swelling,redness, fever)

The infected tooth can also produce the signs of local inflammation in the respective zone near the tooth.
About your question,i suggest to discuss with your dentist if the actual swelling in the Adam's apple zone is the the result of a potential infected tooth in the jaw.
If there is infection the antibiotics may help.

I can say that usualy hypothyroidism do not cause simptoms like yours.

If you have local pain or tenderness i suggest to consult physicaly a local endocrinologist because it is necessary to do a thyroid ultrasound and some blood test to see the actual function of the thyroid gland.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.