Does sea salt contain lower sodium than other salts

my husband has high blood pressure and i believe sea salt contains less sodium but i could be wrong. Anyone know?
Tue, 15 Dec 2009
Good question. The answer is, as others have noted, that sea salt has effectively just as much sodium as table salt. You want to avoid them both. If you start reading food labels, cut out *any* added salt, and watch restaurant food very carefully, you'll find that you don't miss the extra salt a bit. Once you cut sodium intake to whatever naturally occurs in the foods you eat, you will find that any food with salt added to it will taste *really* salty. So you don't have to work very hard after the initial effort to recognize foods that you should avoid. Once your tastes have adjusted, your own preferences will take care of a lot of it for you. I used to add salt to a hard boiled egg or corn on the cob. But now I find that they are just fine without it! The other point I should mention is that your husband's BP might also be lowered by eating fresh fruit that is high in potassium (oranges, bananas, etc.). Potassium acts in the opposite direction from sodium at the cellular level in controlling body fluids, and that's a large part of what determines your blood pressure. Feel free to contact me off-line if you are interested in learning more. I can give you some more pointers and reading material. My wife has cardiomyopathy, so we work at reducing sodium intake together. Once we made this adjustment, I find that I'm happy to avoid salty foods, as well, even though I don't really need to.