• question-icon

Does menopause cause frequent urge to urinate?

So if I am going through menopause, is that possibly why I have to go to the bathroom all night long? I can never sleep through the night anymore...up at least twice to use bathroom. If this is the case, will it continue like this or maybe ease off once I am through the menopause change??
Sat, 28 Dec 2013
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in .

I would like to rule out the possibility of a urinary tract infection.
Please provide some additional details.....
Any history of fever, nausea, vomiting, lower back pain ?
Any history of burning sensation while passing urine?
Increased frequency of urination?

If the answer is yes to any one or more , it is quite possible that you might be having a urinary tract infection, in which case you would need to get a urine routine , microscopy and culture done .... if it turns positive for urinary tract infection , then the doctor might start you on antibiotics.

However, if the symptoms are there only at night(only twice at night)... I would advise you to restrict fluid or water intake 3 hours before sleeping. Drink enough water during the day time.

Empty your bladder before going to bed.
Drink at least 8- 10 glasses of water during the day time.
Restrict fluid intake 3 hours prior to bedtime.
Periodic regular emptying of bladder a must to prevent urinary infection. That means every 2 or 3 hours empty the bladder.
Ensure good perineal hygiene.
These are some of the measures you can take .

You could be right. Going through menopause might be the cause of your present symptoms, as reduced levels of estrogen make the urethra and bladder more prone to infections.However, similar problems could arise even after menopause.

Do get back to me if you have any further queries.

Have a great day.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

OBGYN Dr. Sree Gouri SR's  Response
Frequent urination may not be seen just because of menopause.
Sometimes urethral mucosal dryness due to estrogen deficiency can lead to some amount of irritation and increased frequency.
If the symptoms persist, once consult gynecologist and get examined.
Go for blood sugar levels estimation, urine microscopy, culture and sensitivity.
With this workup the possible cause for your problem can be identified and treated.
If estrogen deficiency is found to be the cause, you may need local application of estrogen cream with your doctor's advice.