Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Does entering menopause cause hair fall and how can it be controlled ?

My wife is 47 years of age and going through menopause phase. She is residing at a place in India where there is hard water which lacks in iron content. She is experiencing hairloss from the crown and hair partition region of the head . She had her periods on 29/11/2010 and did not have any periods, thereafter, till she saw a gynaecologist in Feb 2011 who prescribed some medicines and she again had her periods on 11/03/2011 and on 07/04/2011 after which it has stopped. For what duration is her menopausal phase expected to last? When do we assume her menopausal phase to have commenced, 29/11/2010 the date of commencement of her last periods or 07/04/2011 the last time her periods started after she took medicines prescribed by the gynaecologist? When should she expect this phase to get over? Will she continue to experience the hairfall throughout the menopausal phase? Please advise.
Asked On : Thu, 21 Jul 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  122
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello Mr.Kumar ;
welcome to HealthcareMagic
Hair fall can be due to many reasons like anaemia;thyroid problems;deficiency of vitamins and minerals;dandruff and infection of scalp;after fevers like typhoid;malaria etc.So it is important to find the cause and get treated.The most common thing in female can be anaemia due to blood loss during periods and even vitamin deficiency so please tell her to get tested CBC to see if she has anaemia and then she can get prescribed iron tablets and multivitamins and calcium tablets.Also get her to a Dermatologist (skin specialist) if the hair fall does not stop to find other reasons and then he will treat your wife accordingly.As for the period of menopause it can continue for 2-3 yrs also so keep proper follow up with your Gynaecologist.
Answered: Thu, 21 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor