Does drinking alcohol contribute to high blood pressure?

Mon, 14 Dec 2009
's  Response
yes, alcohol is a stimulant, it will most certainly raise blood pressure.

I found I had high-normal blood pressure last year and have tried to cut down on alcohol consumption, as well as salt in my diet. I actually do eat a pretty healthy, mainly vegetarian diet with a lot of Omega3 rich fish. But it doesn t seem to have had any affect on my blood pressure at all. Obviously, being high-normal I don t need to worry too much, but I d like to lower it a little. One constant seems to be Red Bull, which I drink almost every day. Is this to blame? The reason why I say Red Bull and not strictly caffeine is because of the concoction of other chemicals and taurine it also contains. RB has the same amount of caffeine as a mug of coffee or two mugs of tea.

Hi. My dad just turned 55 this week and had his blood pressure checked. Just once and it was 155 over 107. This kind of worries me and him. Hes slightly over weight but has muscle. Hes one of those fat built guys. He has a bad habit of eating before bed because he works afternoon shifts and has been drinking 4-5 beers everynight the last while. Can the beer cause high blood pressure? Lack of sleep? Poor eating habits? Hes going by the nurses office at work weekly now to make sure his blood pressure has been going down. Hes stopping drinking and bad eating. What else can you suggest?

hello sir my father is 50 years old and is having non insulin dependent diabetic mellitus and is taking medication for the same. he is also suffering from fatty liver stage 1 and high bllod pressure. and sorry about this that he drinks alcohol daily and sugar is also not under control i.e 250.. sir will you suggest what should we do.. and also has stones in gall bladder.. i myself is a medico and completed my bds and really worried please help out..???

Recent questions on  Hypertension

I am Hypertension patient for the last 15 year On medication ATEN 25 mg (Atenolol 25) for 15 years Last month I had master checkup and after review of ECG my other doctor prescribed me Met XL 25(Metoprolol Succinate extended release) Please tell me difference between these two drugs.

I was given a prescription for Benicar but the information sheet said not to take if you are diabetic and have kidney problems. I do not have high blood pressure and am afraid to take this medicine. was told this would protect my liver. what should I do?

Hi, My Name is Ravi Ku Sharma, I am 56 year old, In the age of 42 i had of attack of hypertension (220/120) bp cause bleeding from nose whole night.I started taking BP pills, after some hour my whole body get itching.Today my all joints having skin problem..What should i do..Please suggest. Thanks & Best Regards, Ravi Kumar Sharma

i am 55, female, height 5 6. weight-90.. suffering from high bp for last two months with bp ranging from 160/85 to 170/95 even after taking medicines like telsateran, amloguard, alphadopa, targit 80 every day. i hav been hospitalised twice within this period before medication experincing shortness of breath, dryness of throat, dizziness etc. i hav been detected LVH . trop T was negative. what should i do?

how often can you take Prednisone? I have reallybad inflamation in my hands and it took it away . The swelling has come back now and I dont know that much about it.

Patient: Female, 73 years, 6 months old, 5'7" tall, 230 lbs., in generally good health. Hypertension well controlled with medication, lifelong history of recurring clinical depression . Currently takes medication for depression and hypertension,...

Im a 70 year old stage two diabetic. I woke up in the night with dry heaves...I just went to the store and fell faint and nauseated. I rested for 30 minutes and felt a lot better. I home now and concerned ! I had low blood presure. Now its 128...