Does drinking alcohol contribute to high blood pressure?

Mon, 14 Dec 2009
's  Response
yes, alcohol is a stimulant, it will most certainly raise blood pressure.

I found I had high-normal blood pressure last year and have tried to cut down on alcohol consumption, as well as salt in my diet. I actually do eat a pretty healthy, mainly vegetarian diet with a lot of Omega3 rich fish. But it doesn t seem to have had any affect on my blood pressure at all. Obviously, being high-normal I don t need to worry too much, but I d like to lower it a little. One constant seems to be Red Bull, which I drink almost every day. Is this to blame? The reason why I say Red Bull and not strictly caffeine is because of the concoction of other chemicals and taurine it also contains. RB has the same amount of caffeine as a mug of coffee or two mugs of tea.

Hi. My dad just turned 55 this week and had his blood pressure checked. Just once and it was 155 over 107. This kind of worries me and him. Hes slightly over weight but has muscle. Hes one of those fat built guys. He has a bad habit of eating before bed because he works afternoon shifts and has been drinking 4-5 beers everynight the last while. Can the beer cause high blood pressure? Lack of sleep? Poor eating habits? Hes going by the nurses office at work weekly now to make sure his blood pressure has been going down. Hes stopping drinking and bad eating. What else can you suggest?

hello sir my father is 50 years old and is having non insulin dependent diabetic mellitus and is taking medication for the same. he is also suffering from fatty liver stage 1 and high bllod pressure. and sorry about this that he drinks alcohol daily and sugar is also not under control i.e 250.. sir will you suggest what should we do.. and also has stones in gall bladder.. i myself is a medico and completed my bds and really worried please help out..???

Recent questions on  Hypertension

In a recent medical exam, my BP was 142/92 and my pulse rate was 63. My SpO2 was measured twice (three minutes apart) and went from 96% to 93%. I had no medical history to report to the doctor. I was basically starting fresh with my healthcare. She said my vitals were normal and stable. She said my BP was likely due to my back pain (that led to the visit in the first place). But if my pressure was high, why was my rate low?? And, what is the significance of the drop in SpO2? Thanks.

I have a rash in my groin and my body is always itchy. For about 2 years I had rashes on both my feet. It seems to have cleared now but I still have to apply dipresone everyday. I take medication for high blood pressure - Micardi Plus, Zanidip and Spiractin. Are any of these causing my rash problems?

My husaband is 65 years old nad he told me that last night he experienced a sudden waive of dizziness, enough that he actually fell down. He has high blood pressure and on meds, but never diagnosed with anything else. He is currently working out of town and lives alone. I am very concerned. What could that be?

I feel kind of silly asking this, but my heart rate (resting) has been elevated all day -- ranging from 107 early am, up and down from 130 - 180 most of the day. I've been having episodes like this for several months, but not this bad or long lasting. I guess I'm just not sure what to do. Bp avgs 120/78 - 130/88.

how often can you take Prednisone? I have reallybad inflamation in my hands and it took it away . The swelling has come back now and I dont know that much about it.

Patient: Female, 73 years, 6 months old, 5'7" tall, 230 lbs., in generally good health. Hypertension well controlled with medication, lifelong history of recurring clinical depression . Currently takes medication for depression and hypertension,...

Im a 70 year old stage two diabetic. I woke up in the night with dry heaves...I just went to the store and fell faint and nauseated. I rested for 30 minutes and felt a lot better. I home now and concerned ! I had low blood presure. Now its 128...