Does drinking alcohol contribute to high blood pressure?

Mon, 14 Dec 2009
's  Response
yes, alcohol is a stimulant, it will most certainly raise blood pressure.

I found I had high-normal blood pressure last year and have tried to cut down on alcohol consumption, as well as salt in my diet. I actually do eat a pretty healthy, mainly vegetarian diet with a lot of Omega3 rich fish. But it doesn t seem to have had any affect on my blood pressure at all. Obviously, being high-normal I don t need to worry too much, but I d like to lower it a little. One constant seems to be Red Bull, which I drink almost every day. Is this to blame? The reason why I say Red Bull and not strictly caffeine is because of the concoction of other chemicals and taurine it also contains. RB has the same amount of caffeine as a mug of coffee or two mugs of tea.

Hi. My dad just turned 55 this week and had his blood pressure checked. Just once and it was 155 over 107. This kind of worries me and him. Hes slightly over weight but has muscle. Hes one of those fat built guys. He has a bad habit of eating before bed because he works afternoon shifts and has been drinking 4-5 beers everynight the last while. Can the beer cause high blood pressure? Lack of sleep? Poor eating habits? Hes going by the nurses office at work weekly now to make sure his blood pressure has been going down. Hes stopping drinking and bad eating. What else can you suggest?

hello sir my father is 50 years old and is having non insulin dependent diabetic mellitus and is taking medication for the same. he is also suffering from fatty liver stage 1 and high bllod pressure. and sorry about this that he drinks alcohol daily and sugar is also not under control i.e 250.. sir will you suggest what should we do.. and also has stones in gall bladder.. i myself is a medico and completed my bds and really worried please help out..???

Recent questions on  Hypertension

i am a 250lb, 6'8", 37yr old male with high blood pressure who just had intense sex with my 23yr old girlfriend of 2 years, and after sex i had a little blood coming out the head of my penis. I used the bathroom to "clean the system" and there was blood. Not to mention my right side of my stomach down to my scrotum is hurting bad! there is a buldging vein on my scrotum where the pain is... What should i do???

dear doctor,
I am on high bp medicine alprex am one daily and one naxium 40 for haital hernia. apart from this I am taking half tab for bhp. I take 2 pegs of whisky on regular basis to help me forget my past. for the last two years i am troubled with ed and I am very very sad for that. what should I do:

Hello, my name is Dianne. I have suffered from hypertension for over 6 years. Several medications did not work. My right kidney was removed in November of last year. My bp came down. I am now on only 200 mg of labatalol 2 times daily. I has been increasing. About two weeks ago I experienced and was treated for bronchitis with Z-pack then started Cipro three days ago. However, I am extremely out of breathe now and have muscle pain from my upper neck to my lower back. It feels as though I am bruised to the point I cant even wear a bra. I have tightness in my chest just to the left side. I also feel very tired and have been unable to work because of this and have gained 6 pounds in just a weeks time. Could this possibly be from my kidney. The last test showed 74% function of the remaining kidney. That was in January, It took two er visits with the chest pain for them to say it was bronchitis.

i have high blood pressure and i have taken my medicine. i have a bump on the side of my head. it havent got big or anything. and my doctor told me to not bother it if it is not bothering me. well it is starting to bother me a little. and the side of my head by my ear keeps jumping and like numbness go towards my teeth. what that might be

how often can you take Prednisone? I have reallybad inflamation in my hands and it took it away . The swelling has come back now and I dont know that much about it.

Patient: Female, 73 years, 6 months old, 5'7" tall, 230 lbs., in generally good health. Hypertension well controlled with medication, lifelong history of recurring clinical depression . Currently takes medication for depression and hypertension,...

Im a 70 year old stage two diabetic. I woke up in the night with dry heaves...I just went to the store and fell faint and nauseated. I rested for 30 minutes and felt a lot better. I home now and concerned ! I had low blood presure. Now its 128...