• question-icon

Does diabetes cause depression?

Hello. I m wondering if there is a connection between Diabetes and depression. I m not severely depressed, nor would I ever commit suicide and leave my 3 wonderful grown sons; however, I d consider my present state to be more a case of the blues. I cry easily and don t always know why. I have type 2 Diabetes and was first diagnosed in 1998. In addition, I have had 4 TIAs in the past 5-6 years, the most recent on 8/20 of this year. Could that play a role? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Mon, 30 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

You should not let depression overtake you; for depression will worsen your diabetes. If you are depressed you will not follow healthy lifestyle, will fail to do regular exercises & gain weight. Depression will even raise your blood sugar levels. Depression can be caused by not only diabetes or TIA, emotional & relationship factors play their role. You need to take the help of a Physiotherapist or a Psychiatrist/Consultant. Antidepressants & mood elevators do work well, but do not depend on medicines. Get social, meet people, organize picnics, listen to music & do all that makes you happy. Stay away from anxiety, stress, addictions & take good sleep.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Nupur K.