Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Does continued stomach ulcer lead to cancer and what treatment can be taken ?

I am a 26 year old lady and have been suffering from stomach ulcer for the past 8 years.I tried so many medication and even tried injections, i dont get better and they work for a short period.Im worried because now started to feel as if its swollen in the stomach and also feeling pains especially when I eat after swallowing food.I ve lost food appetite but i always force myself to eat to avoid hunger.Are the any chances of getting Cancer from Ulcer?Can it be cured?What treatment can i take?
Asked On : Mon, 18 Jul 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  157
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi mankoec,

Welcome to HCM.
You have not mentioned how the diagnosis of stomach ulcer was made. Only sure way of making the diagnosis is by doing a gastroscopy.
Stomach ulcer provisionally diagnosed by symptoms alone can be misleading and is totally unreliable.
You should consult a gastroenterologist who will advise gastroscopy and if ulcer is present, biopsy from the ulcer site will be taken which has to be studied under microscope to exclude malignancy.
You will also need an ultrasound study of abdomen to exclude any other pathology.
Long standing stomach ulcers may turn cancerous. Don't ignore your symptoms and don't treat on presumptions.
Wish you speedy recovery.
Answered: Mon, 18 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor